Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Tie Dye Party!

Hi my name is Bethany! I'm an eighth grade student in Mrs. Bulloch's third block, and recently the whole eight grade had a tie dye party. In class we've been learning about light waves and their properties. We learned that every color is just a different light wave and every wave has it's own wave length. We also  studied the color wheel and how the colors mix together. The properties we studied were amplitude, wavelength, crest, trough, rarefaction, and compression, along with the primary and secondary colors. To cap off the subject we all took t-shirts, socks, shorts, or really any kind of clothing that was 100% cotton, and went to work! First, we dipped our clothing in Borax water and wrung it out so that the dye would be easily absorbed(very important step!!!). Next, we tied our clothes off to get whatever pattern we desired. After that we smothered our clothes in dye! I was dying Mrs. Bulloch's son's shirt as well as my own, and after I finished mine I started his. However it became a funny situation because I forgot to dip it in Borax water so I used my hands to push the dye into the cotton... my hands were PURPLE for a week! So trust me if you ever tie dye- always dip your shirt or use gloves. In the end everyone's shirts were very unique. Some ended up better than others but the following Tuesday everyone was decked out in every color imaginable. This was definitely my favorite project of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment